SON LEARNT FINANCIAL MANAGEMENT by Prof. P.K.Keshap
in Business / Entrepreneurship (submitted 2011-03-11)
Son in the bed, hiding his face with the pillow and half-in-sleep:
Mom to son,
• Get up my son, it is morning, you need to go to school. In case you will be late it will reflect a poor grade on your report card in • responsibility• column."
Son murmurs back,
• A few moments more mom. Please allow me to sleep.•
• Get up or I will pull you out of the bed holding you from your ears.•
• My dear why can• t we work out a solution that makes our son more responsible. If the son does not get up let him sleep as long as he wishes. How long will you trouble yourself to keep him waking up? At least, one day he will have to get himself up without your assistance.•
• But he will be late for school,• humbly his wife a nice responsible caring mom replied.
• Let him own his own responsibility right from today,• Mr. Jassar politely answered.
• Let me handle the child. Don• t wake him up right from tomorrow.• Mr. Jassar advised and instructed. Mr. Jassar though said politely but firmly.
• Why you did not wake me up. I am late for the school.• The child complained to his mother.
The complaint had no effect either on mom or dad.
• We have decided, right from today, we shall not wake you up. You have to own your own responsibility of going to school. You have to learn and be wise.•
He felt as if he has woken up from a deep sleep and dreaming state.
He surrendered and politely enquired from his father,
• What should I do dad? I don• t want to lose my classes.•
• Where can I get this clock?• the child asked in a low tone. The tone reflected the child needs guidance and solution for the problem.
Dad also made a list of the activities needed to be done by his son once he was awake and up . Dad pinned up the list on son• s notice board in the room. The looked at the list and frowned. But he could not contest with his dad.
Days went by. The child one day asked Mr. Jassar,
• About Cn.$200.•
• I wish to buy one.•
"OK. Go ahead• , Dad replied appreciatingly.
• But I don• t have any money on me.•
Dad said," look, my dear son we have started all afresh by immigrating to
• Earn it.•
• How can I earn it?•
• Let me think for a day I will be back on this• , dad said.
• I have an idea.• Dad started the talk with his son.
• In my office, lot of papers need to be arranged. You may come to my office on weekly off-days and holidays. I will pay you Cn.$100 per month.•
• One more idea, it costs to take a ride for going to school.•
• It can save you $ 80 if you go and come back on foot from school which is less than a km from our home.•
Mother started to enjoy more life at home in the absence of child and his dad.
After 3 months, Mr. Jassar asked his son, • Why don• t you buy the bi-cycle?•
• Dad I have only 120 dollars. 100 earned plus 20 saved. I have 80 dollars short.•
Mr. Jassar offered, • Now I can lend you 80 dollars but I will charge interest.•
• Right! I will pay,• agreed the child.
Mr. Jassar as promised loaned the child sum of 80 dollars.
• Go to the internet and ask for bids on the internet.•